I can’t think of a sandwich that I love more than a panini! That’s why I was so excited when I received a griddle for Christmas this year that had a panini press function. I wanted to try it out ASAP! I had some leftover basil pesto in the fridge which is where the inspiration for this recipe came from.
If you like pesto and goat cheese then you will love this sandwich! The pesto adds some freshness to the sandwich, the sun-dried tomatoes are chewy and sweet, and the goat cheese adds a perfect creaminess to the filling. To me, this is total comfort food, especially when served with a nice glass of wine!
Chicken Pesto Panini
- 1 small ciabatta bun
- 1/3 cup (about 2 ounces) cooked chicken, sliced
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (about 1 ounce) goat cheese
- 1 tsp butter, softened
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat panini press to medium/high.
- Slice ciabatta bun in half. Spread mayonnaise on bottom half of bun and spread pesto on top half.
- Lay sun-dried tomatoes across bottom half bun. Top with chicken slices.
- Crumble the goat cheese over the pesto layer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Close sandwich and butter the outside of the ciabatta bun.
- Place sandwich on panini press and close, pressing sandwich flat. Cook on med/high heat about 8-10 minutes, or until inside of sandwich is heated though and the bun is lightly toasted.
Notes: If you don’t have a panini press, you can cook the sandwich in a skillet on the stove. Place another skillet or pan on top of the sandwich to weigh down. Flip sandwich halfway through cooking.