Let me just start by saying that this might be one of the best appetizers that I’ve made in a really long time. I realize that’s a tall statement, however this Roasted Peach and Goat Cheese Crostini is SO good. I’m thankful I found my inspiration in the lovely white peaches I saw at the grocery store this afternoon because it’s the perfect topper to this beautiful crostini.
I admit, I’m a “carb-a-holic” so I’ll eat just about anything piled on a slice of toasted bread. But the balance of flavors and textures in these particular toppings are out of this world and that makes this something special! It all starts with a layer of rich creamy goat cheese. Then it’s covered with a warm slice of roasted peach, drizzled with a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze, and then topped with crunchy pecans and fresh thyme leaves. Sweet, salty, creamy, crunchy, clean, and fresh…Need I say more?
Roasted Peach & Goat Cheese Crostini
- 1 small baguette
- 2 medium peaches
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp balsamic glaze
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Finely chop pecans and set aside. Strip the leaves from several sprigs of thyme and roughly chop the leaves. Set aside with the chopped pecans.
- Slice baguette on an angle into 12 slices, approximately 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick, depending on your preference. Place slices of bread on a cookie sheet lined with a wire rack. Bake in preheated oven for 4 minutes.
- Cut peaches in half and remove pit. Place on a foil or parchment lined pan, cut side up. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake in 400° oven for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, turn the peaches over (cut side down) and bake for another 6 minutes, or until peaches are softened.
- While the peaches roast, spread goat cheese on warm slices of bread. Return cheese covered toast to the pan lined with a wire rack and set aside.
- Once peaches are finished roasting, remove from oven and allow to rest until cool enough to touch, about 5 minutes. Slice each peach halve into 3 slices (12 slices total). Top each piece of toast with a peach slice.
- Turn the oven up to broil. Place crostini in the oven and broil for 45 – 60 seconds, keeping a close watch to ensure they do not burn. Remove from the oven immediately.
- Arrange crostini on a serving platter and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Sprinkle over the chopped pecans and thyme leaves. Finish with a pinch of coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.